Step into a world of Byzantine marvels! The Republic of Macedonia, once a part of the glorious Byzantine Empire, is brimming with heritage, especially in the form of enchanting churches and monasteries. These architectural gems hold immense value and provide a glimpse into the Middle Ages, nearby the heart of Skopje, our capital city.
Let’s begin our journey with the St. Pantelejmon Monastery. This sacred site, founded in 1164 by Alexius Angelus Comnenus, is dedicated to St. Pantelejmon, the patron saint of physicians. Nestled in the village of Nerezi, on the slopes of the majestic Vodno Mountain, it boasts some of the most treasured Byzantine frescoes known to mankind. Prepare to be awe-inspired! (more info).
Next, we invite you to explore the fascinating St. Demetrious Church, nestled within the Marko Monastery. Originally built in the 14th century, it underwent a remarkable restoration in 1376/77, adorning its walls with exquisitely unique frescoes that have left an indelible mark on Byzantine art. This remarkable church is dedicated to the martyr St. Demetrius, and the monastery takes its name from one of its founders, King Marko. Get ready for an artistic feast! (more info).
Our journey continues to the breathtaking Church of St. Andrea, nestled in the picturesque Matka Canyon. Dating back to 1389, this ancient marvel captivates visitors with its timeless beauty. The fresco paintings, preserved since its inception, transport you to a bygone era of artistic excellence. It’s a true testament to the enduring power of faith and creativity. #ChurchOfStAndrea
Last but not least, we invite you to explore the Monastery at Matka, where the Church of St. Virgin Mary stands in all its glory. Originating from the late 14th century, this magnificent structure was lovingly restored and adorned with frescoes in 1496/97 by Milica, a respected feudal lady from Skopje. Immerse yourself in the tranquility and spirituality of this sacred site (more info).
Join us on this extraordinary journey through time as we unravel the secrets of Byzantine architecture in Skopje. Prepare to be captivated!
- Unforgettable Encounter: Witness the awe-inspiring Lamentation/Pietà, a truly unique masterpiece that will leave you speechless in St. Panteleimon church. Stand in front of this remarkable work of art and feel its profound impact.
- Fresco Marvels: Immerse yourself in the largest fresco ensemble in Macedonia at St. Demetrious church. Marvel at the intricate details and vibrant colors that bring centuries of history to life before your eyes. Prepare to be amazed!
- Serene Greenery: Indulge in the tranquil beauty of the surrounding green scenery that envelops the monasteries. Let nature’s embrace enhance your experience as you explore these sacred sites.
- Behind-the-Scenes: Get an exclusive sneak peek into the forbidden nun’s workshop, a place shrouded in mystery and craftsmanship. Discover the secrets behind the creation of these incredible artworks.
- Voyage to the Underground: Embark on a delightful boat trip at Canyon Matka to a mesmerizing cave adorned with underground lakes. Let the gentle ripples of water guide you through this enchanting subterranean world. A true hidden gem!
Departure: from meeting point
Duration: full day tour up to 7 hrs
Time: At request
Getting around: Walking
Guide: Professional tourist guide and heritage interpreter
Tickets: €2 per person for the St. Panteleimon church; €2 for the St. Andrew church; €5-10 for the optional boat trip
Transportation: by request (we can organize private car, van or minibus)